St. Mark's School
2017-2018 UNIFORM DRESS CODE
PURPOSE: The dress code at St. Mark’s School is to help provide a safe learning environment that emphasizes the dignity of each student as well as developing pride in the school. It allows the student to focus on academics rather than on dress. It helps eliminate competition for expensive and/or fad clothing. The school’s dress code also serves to develop healthy attitudes regarding Christian modesty. Compliance with the dress code is an expectation of each student attending St. Mark’s School. Parents, guardians, students, teachers, and staff must be knowledgeable and supportive of the school’s dress code.
WHERE TO PURCHASE: Uniform items fitting St. Mark’s Uniform Dress Code may be obtained from J. C. Penney-www.jcpenney.com, Land’s End-www.landsend.com/school (school code 900131459), Dennis Uniform-www.dennisuniform.com (school code 59030) and Educational Outfitters (new uniform shop opening August 2017 in downtown Boise). These stores have been provided a copy of our Uniform Dress Code and they should be able to reference it to help you with your purchases. If purchased at stores other than those listed above, the items must be uniform-style and exactly the same as those verified at these suppliers. WHEN PURCHASING ANY UNIFORM ITEM, remember to refer to this Uniform Dress Code before purchasing items, as not all items at any store are a part of our dress code. A limited number of used uniforms are available through the uniform exchange or through the school. Navy or light blue polo shirts for sixth, seventh and eighth grade may be purchased through St. Mark’s School Apparel and Promotional Item Order Form or another store. Shirts not purchased through St. Mark’s School must be screen printed with St. Mark’s School logo at Idaho Sporting Goods for a minimal fee. Sweatshirts and St. Mark’s Spirit shirts can only be ordered through St. Mark’s School. Please feel free to call the office if a particular item of clothing is in question or if you have any other special concerns.
SPIRIT DAYS: Students are required to be in uniform, except for special days on which non-uniform dress is permitted or on official meeting days for Scouts. One day each month is designated as a free Spirit Day and an optional $1.00 Spirit Day will be held each month. On Spirit Day, students may wear jeans or solid colored shorts (seasonal) in good condition, a St. Marks’ spirit T-shirt, and a St. Mark’s sweatshirt. Students must continue to follow Students’ Overall Appearance Guidelines on Spirit Days.
Enforcement: Classroom teachers and school staff will enforce the dress code. On a student’s first violation, a verbal warning will be given to the student. Additional infractions will result in a lunch detention to be served on the day of the infraction. Parents may be called for appropriate clothing to be brought to school for the student to change in to. Under all instances, interpretation of the Uniform Dress Code is at the discretion of the Principal.
Students’ Overall Appearance
- Clothing must be clean, hemmed, pressed, and free of holes or rips.
- Hair styles should not become a distraction to the learning environment for the individual or for others. Hair must be clean, neat, trimmed, and kept out of the face. Male student’s hair should be cut above earlobes and should be off of the collar. Hair wraps, beading, unnatural artificial hair coloring, extreme haircuts and extreme hair bleaching or dying are not allowed.
- Good personal hygiene must be practiced.
- Hats, caps, bandanas, and scarves are not to be worn inside the buildings.
- Body piercing, tattoos, and facial hair are unacceptable.
- Ear piercing is okay for girls only. Only studs may be worn, no loop or dangly earrings. Jewelry should be worn in moderation and in good taste. Excessive jewelry and ornamentation is not acceptable.
- Modestly painted fingernails for girls only.
- Minimal makeup is allowed for girls in the 7th and 8th grades only.
- Particular fashion or trendy items may be declared unacceptable if they are not in line with the philosophy of St. Mark’s School.
- If a student grows out of a uniform item before the end of the school year, St. Mark's is willing to trade that item from our Uniform Exchange supply if the size needed is availableDaily DressShirts: Must have a collar, turtleneck, or mock turtleneck and must have sleeves (no sleeveless shirts or long-sleeve T-shirts). Length of shirt must be long enough to be tucked in at all times, including lunch and recess (3” longer than the waistband to ensure that it stays tucked in). No visible layering of shirts. NO label, logo or symbol indicating brand6th, 7th & 8th: White, navy or light blue polo shirt with “Saint Mark’s School” logo screen print. All shirts should fit properly, no tight or short shirts are allowed.Sweatshirts: 6th, 7th & 8th: St. Mark’s navy blue sweatshirt, crew or hoodie, or light blue ¼ zip. No outside sweatshirts are allowed in class and outside sweatshirts and hoodies are not allowed at Student Body Mass. Sweatshirts are only available for purchase through St. Mark’s School.Vests and Cardigans: Navy blue. No logos or symbols.Pants: Twill or corduroy uniform dress pants must be the classic uniform style dress pants. Pants should have slash style pockets. No cargo, oversize, baggy, low or midrise, hip-huggers, bell-bottoms, flares, knit, rivets, extra zippers, back sewn-on pockets, or overly faded pants. No longer than the top of the foot. NO PATCH POCKETS ON FRONT OR BACK. NO label, logo or symbol indicating brand.6th, 7th & 8th: Navy blue or khaki tan.Shorts: Twill uniform walking length shorts, must be the same style of classic uniform walking shorts, without extra trendy embellishments. Worn in the spring and fall at principal’s discretion. No shorter than 3” above the kneecap, and nothing below the kneecap. No shorts allowed at Student Body Mass. NO label, logo or symbol indicating brand6th, 7th & 8th: Navy blue or khaki.Jumpers: K-5th: School Dunbar plaid 100% polyester (not poly/cotton). No shorter than 3” above the kneecap.Skirts:
- 6th, 7th & 8th: Navy blue or Khaki twill pleated
- Skort:(front and back look like skirt, shorts underneath)
- K-5th: School Dunbar plaid 100% polyester (not poly/cotton) four-button bibbed and knife-pleated. No shorter than 3” above the kneecap.
- K-5th: Navy blue.
- K-5th: Navy blue.
- K-5th: St. Mark’s navy blue sweatshirt, crew or hoodie. Must have collared uniform shirt underneath. No outside sweatshirts are allowed in class and outside sweatshirts and hoodies are not allowed at Student Body Mass. Sweatshirts are only available for purchase through St. Mark’s School.
- K-5th: White.
6th, 7th & 8th: Belts are required for Grades 6, 7 and 8. Belts are to be solid black, brown, tan or navy blue, free of embellishments.
Shoes: Shoes should be sturdy and safe. Dress shoes and boots in white, navy, brown, gray, or black with low heels and heel enclosure or back strap are permitted. Athletic shoes (no lights, glitter or fluorescent colors) are acceptable any day. Athletic shoes are required on P.E. days. Shoes with laces must be tied at all times. Sandals allowed, but must have back straps. Flip-flops, cowboy boots, slippers and cleats are considered unsafe and are not acceptable. Snow/rain boots (ex. Uggs) may be worn on rainy or snowy days only and must be removed in the classroom. If you question if shoes are acceptable, please contact the School Office.
Socks/Tights: ELITE OR SIMILAR SOCKS ARE NOT ALLOWED
K-5th: Socks are required every day and must be solid white, black or navy blue. Tights must be solid navy blue or white. Footless tights (plain, without lace, etc.) must be solid navy blue or white and reach the ankle and must be worn with matching color socks.
6th, 7th & 8th: Socks are required every day and must be solid white, black or navy blue. Tights must be solid navy blue or white. Footless tights (plain, without lace, etc.) must be solid navy blue or white and reach the ankle and must be worn with matching color socks.
Shorts are never allowed at Student Body Mass.
Boys- A clean, white, button down dress shirt with a St. Mark’s uniform or navy tie must be worn on Mass days. Navy sweaters or cardigans may be worn along with the shirt and tie. Uniform pants in navy or khaki (grade-level appropriate) must also be worn.
Girls- A clean, white, button down blouse must be worn on Mass days. Girls may wear a St. Mark’s uniform or navy crossover tie. Navy sweaters or cardigans are also allowed. Uniform pants in navy or khaki or jumper, skort or skirt (grade-level appropriate) must also be worn.
TVCS GAME DAY DRESS
Special dress promotes the activity and helps give the players a sense of ownership to the team. Players will be allowed to dress up on game days. The dress code is as follows:
Boys- may wear nice khakis or slacks with a dress shirt and tie. Game jerseys are allowed to be worn over shirts and ties.
Girls- may wear a nice dress or skirt with an appropriate blouse. Game jerseys are allowed to be worn over blouse or dress.
Further guidelines for Game Day Dress are up to the discretion of principal.
Appearance must be neat, clean and respectable, following the Students’ Overall Appearance guidelines.